Monday, April 14, 2008

Spencer said I need to talk more about the class, specifically the final project and how that's going.

I've got an idea I really want to do. The problem is, it has absolutely no focus yet. I really just want to replace all the text in a single chapter of Watchmen, and turn it into an essay. I don't know what I'm going to write about, though. It has to be about comic books. I don't have anything to say about comic books, without really feeling like I'm over-Englishing it. Using words like paradigm and heteronormativity and stuff. I don't know. My copy of Watchmen is with a friend, and hopefully he'll bring it to Victorian culture tomorrow. If he doesn't? Mexico is less than a day away, if I break the speed limit.

The thing is, I know I could make something that would be entertaining, and maybe even smart, if I didn't feel like I was stretching to talk about "paneling" or something. So my focus when I sit down to really hammer this out is going to be finding a compromise between what's fun and instructive for me and what's academic enough for the department. Which I guess is what's been happening since Kindergarten.

No comments: